Monday, August 20, 2012

Down Home Country Pickin'

 Sunday's country pickin's sure were great!

Now, I have many local, favorite places to shop and they're all in the area where I was born, raised and currently live...in the beautiful, Hudson Valley, N.Y. (google it and see!) About a two hour drive, north of N.Y.C; amidst beautiful wineries, gorgeous, historic sites, fabulous countrysides and river views is where you'll find tons of places to go antiquing. With everything from huge, flea markets, auction halls, antique centers, antique barns and overflowing junkyards.

But, here's where I headed on my mission, today...
The best salvage yard around!!!

The Bottle Shop
est.1966

2552 Route 44, Millbrook, NY
(845) 677-3638 

 Now, this is "Kevin," my old pickin' friend ;)
And his barn is just brimmin' with great things to "pick."
 
A picture speaks a thousand words...well, maybe not..there's a lot of ground to "uncover!"
And  a lot of digging, I did! 

Starting on the outside, there's old windows, shutters and tons of old doors... cast iron, metal and tin of all kinds...wood columns, some gates, crusty mantles, old glassware and more.


There' a backyard, not pictured, that's filled with more great finds.

Then inside the door with rooms through and through... to meander and sift... you'll get real dirty, too!
There's lighting and books, silver mixed with wood...it's just all jumbled up.


More nooks and more crannies...

and "bottles galore"...that fill up more spaces in Kevin's great store!


And when browsing you'll hear his "box" playin' tunes...some great ones and oldies that will keep you in the "pickin' mood!"

There are rooms for the "boys" with their kind of things...from fittings for plumbing to hardware and tool things.



So, here, in the land of rust and gold, is where I had my mind set on finding a great, old wooden door...
one to use for my photo props....and this is where I "scored."  

 There she was, my cherished, pick of the day... looking so grungy and old, yet.... "oh, so pretty!!!" 

This old, "cottage blue" door just had to be mine!

                             Not only did she still have her vintage hardware intact...

                                    but, when I turned her around....








  This was her "back!"

Now, isn't that a door just made for double duty? One side, so versatile, for my cottage themes and french style and one, so perfect, for my "Shabby Glam" and "Designer Glitz" and another side perfect for good old country.
And the nicest part of all was that Kevin was gracious enough to load it in my trunk and tie it up safely for the ride to it's new home!


 Some great extra goodies that were just my style!



Gotta go back for this little beauty!
Guys...be sure to save it for me!!!

Then just when I thought my shopping was done...here, was yet, another addition to my "Sunday Pickin'" fun!

Oh-h-h, am I ever gonna have fun with this one...."Shabby Glam" here she comes!!!



Now,  if someday in your travels this shop should you go... please, tell Kevin or Linda
'twas me that sent you/ Janet aka JP/ you know :)

another great link to Kevin's great barn... article

Til next time, with some photo shoots and the washstand's reveal...be happy, stay healthy and have fun!

Hugs,

JP
xoxoxo













5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanna go pickin' too!!! -K.E.

JP said...

Hey,K.E.
You can come with me anytime, would love to have some company,just let me know!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I HAVE to take a trip down there! It looks like vintage heaven to me. I figure I need a whole day to pick! I will be coming from upstate NY Finger Lakes area....I think it will be worth the drive!

JP said...

Cool..AnnMarie,
You must remember to go to Standfordville...The Ole Carousel and The Bowen Barn are two of my other favs, too, that you shouldn't miss!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Janet, thanks for the link to this great spot. WOW I would be in a painters and decorators heaven to go junkin here.
The silver heart pic near the end was a find of mine too and I painted it for my etsy shop this season.
If I get to this area, I will have to make this a must. I think I would need a ton of money. LOL

Thanks again for the link to visit.
Happy Pickin,
Hugs, Celestina Marie